is a town in Vernon Municipality, Hancock Region, Indiana, United States. The populace was 4,032 per a 2017 census quote.
Fortville was originally called Walpole, and under the last name was set out as well as platted in 1849.  It was called for Cephas Ft, the original proprietor of the community site. Fortville was incorporated as a town in 1865.
Tribes of Miami and also Potawatomi Indians first populated the land in the upper edge of Hancock Area. One of the very first tape-recorded white settlers was Francis Kincade. There were clearly defined roadways throughout the location he inhabited as early as 1826. He filed a plat of 24 lots in 1834. His residential property was known as “The Crossroads” since the Greenfield-Noblesville Pike (now SR 238) and Main Street (currently SR 36/67) went through this property.
Thomas R. Noel developed and operated a general store and also post office at this area for a variety of years. This negotiation was called Phoebe Ft. The post office birthed the name “Walpole” in honor of Thomas D. Walpole, a famous attorney as well as political leader in Greenfield.
Cephas Fort made the initial plat survey of Fortville on his residential property in 1849. He anticipated the arrival of the railway throughout the location and also hoped to see it run through his residential or commercial property. The “Bee Line” Railway (later on the New York Central) did specifically that in 1852. The railroad station was named Fortville in honor of Cephas Fort. The town center grew somewhat south as well as eastern of its initial location because of this. Fortville was formally incorporated in 1865 with a population of 240 inhabitants. The request was brought prior to the Area Commissioners in September. They assigned September 30th as the day to hold the vote. Thirty-six people voted for, and also nineteen versus, integrating the Community.
Like various other Towns in new territory, advancement was sluggish. Streets lacked gravel, and also the walkways were made of sawdust and also pieces. Fortville was situated in a productive area, however, and also only required to await the advancement of the surrounding country to be guaranteed of its own development. The principal activity of the settlers was to lower the forest. The lumber was used for houses, a church, an institution, and a central downtown on Main Road. On small gotten rid of patches, family members truck gardens grew in the rich dirt. As cleared land was bigger, it was developed for grazing, farming, and also orchards. The first major plant was flax The flax.
mill lay at Main and Broadway and was in operation right into the 1920s. Brothers Thomas and Vance Noel constructed the initial flour mill in 1855. It was thought about the biggest in the United States with a 100-barrel ability. Some woodcutters got with the railway for cordwood piled at hassle-free locations for the wood-burning engines. New grain elevators, gristmills, sawmills, artisans, vendors, physicians, and druggists equaled the Town’s growth.
Regional Organizations of Fortville, Indiana
The very first church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, was arranged in 1856. The congregation fulfilled in an old barn in the north part of Town had by Peter Staats until 1859 when their structure was erected. The name was later transformed to St. Thomas in honor of the late Thomas Tobin. The Christian Church of Fortville was organized in 1871, as well as a structure was erected in 1872. Today there are 10 churches in the area. The Fortville Carnegie Town library was developed in 1916. The structure was finished in 1918. The building held 15,000 quantities and a blood circulation of 37,938 publications each year. The initial institution was constructed in 1857 and was a little framework structure with one instructor. The frame building melted in concerning 1875-1876. Afterwards institution, was performed in the basement of the Methodist Church, over a medicine shop, in a resort, or anywhere spaces could be located. People demanded a far better center and also a more permanent one. Stokes Jackson was a Town Trustee of Vernon Town and in April 1877, consented to pay one-half of the price and also to join with the Firm of Fortville in the erection of a $5,000.00 building. The institution was lastly completed on November 21, 1878, and opened 10 days later on to 176 pupils. The school was carried out jointly for 12 to 15 years after which Fortville thought full control of her own colleges. The current school is located to the south of Community at the crossway of State Roadway 234 and County Road 200 West.
Local Improvements of Fortville, Indiana
In 1880, $400.00 was set aside for street improvements. In the 1880s and 1890s, improvements came swiftly. Concrete walkways were taken down, and the Thomas Gardner Road was created which provided Fortville its first block street. The initial fire truck was bought in 1879 as well as was a hand-engine operated by volunteers. It depended upon regional wells till the Town water supply was mounted in 1913. This gravity-fed system installed in March and April held a price of $16,849.40. This included a 50,000-gallon tower established 100′ above the Town’s street level. Pipelines were laid, as well as hydrants were mounted to shield all locations of Town from fire hazards. The Town got two two-wheeled carts with 500′ of tube for each cart. Throughout the late 1870s, coal-oil terminated streetlights were presented into the Town. In 1887, gas was discovered in the area, and the Town counted on this brand-new resource to give lights for their roads. In April 1913, the street illumination was converted to electric power.
Marked renovations were made in 1896. Numerous plants, which were currently developed, invested large sums for improvements. Hagen & VanLaningham developed a planing mill and also Wisehart & Schafferr an icehouse as well as storeroom. A number of tales were contributed to organisation areas, fronts improved, and so on concerning this time around. Fortville Boneyard was developed in 1920 when the Town bought 33 acres from Thomas Noel. A shelter residence was erected in 1933 as well as a Precursor Cabin in 1936. Through the years, tables, playground equipment, tennis courts, as well as a baseball diamond with lighting for evening games have been included. Five regional newspapers have been released in Fortville. The first, the Fortville Journal, was published for a couple of months in 1879. A second Fortville Journal followed it in 1883, and afterwards the Fortville Sunlight was published in 1886. The Fortville Tribune was established in 1893 and also was released by different editors up until April 1909 when Gus Stewart bought it. He had actually formerly published the Fortville Reporter for a couple of months during the autumn of 1901. Isaac McConnell of Oxford, Indiana, and Jacob Isely, of Attica, Indiana, organized the Fortville Bank as a personal bank in September 1891. Mr. Isely was the president and Mr. McConnell the cashier. In July 1906, the bank was incorporated as a state bank with a paid up resources of $25,000.00. The People’s Financial institution of Fortville was arranged in 1906 by O.L. Morrow. In 1908, it was reorganized as a nationwide bank with a capital stock of $25,000.00.
The historical Browne-Rafert Home on Merrill Street was noted on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
Landmark Park is located at Staat Street as well as Expert’s Court, just eastern of Main Street.
The entryway to Boneyard lies simply west of Church and also McCarty roads.
The town has a lending library, the Fortville-Vernon Area Public Library.